Congratulations on your engagement! As you prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage, may you be filled with God’s grace and blessings!
In order to help you best prepare to live out your vocation of Marriage the Diocese of Bismarck has certain requirements to help you prepare to be best spouse you can be.
Before scheduling your wedding at a parish, if either party (Catholic or non-Catholic) has a prior attempt at marriage which has not been dissolved through death or received a Document of Freedom to Marry, please contact the Tribunal Office at the Diocese of Bismarck, 701-204-7203, before contacting the church.
Six to Twelve Months Prior to Wedding Date:
- Pray and enjoy quiet moments together as a couple. Ask God to bless your relationship and thank God for the gift of one another.
- Initial meeting with priest to get to know him and learn more about his particular marriage preparation processes.
- Complete Pre-Nuptial Forms with your priest.
- If either of you have been previously married obtain a declaration of nullity.
- Schedule your Pre-Marriage Seminar Weekend date
- Schedule your Natural Family Planning Course
- Take your FOCCUS inventory
- Obtain a baptismal certificate (issued less than 6 months from wedding date). Have the parish include all notations, if there are no notations; please have the parish write none.
Two to Four Months Prior to Wedding Date:
- Turn in certificate of Completion for the PreMarriage Seminar to your priest.
- Turn in certificate of Completion for your Natural Family Planning Course.
- Begin meeting to review the results of your FOCCUS inventory.
- Meet and discuss music and Liturgy with parish
One to Two Months Prior to Wedding Date:
- Finalize your Music and Liturgy Plan with the parish.
- No more than 30 days prior to the wedding date you must apply for a civil marriage license.
- Continue Praying and attend the Sacrament of Reconciliation