Special collections are the vehicle by which the Catholic faithful reach beyond their own immediate needs and assist the Catholic Church at the diocesan, national and universal levels.
Ten special collections are conducted annually in the Diocese of Bismarck. Promotion and publication of these collections are coordinated through the Stewardship and Resource Development Office. These collections meet the needs of the programs in the Diocese of Bismarck (your Diocesan Church), the Church in the United States (your National Church), and throughout the world (your Universal Church).
2016 Collections in the Diocese of Bismarck
- Black and Indian Missions: First Weekend in Lent > Feb. 13-14
- Operation Rice Bowl: Ash Wednesday through Lent > Feb. 10-March 27
- *African Mission Appeal: First Weekend in March > March 5-6
- Holy Land (Good Friday): Good Friday > March 25
- *God’s Share Appeal: First Weekend in May > April 30-May 1
- Collection for the Holy Father: Weekend nearest to Feast of Sts. Peter & Paul > June 25-26
- Catholic Home Missions Appeal: First weekend in September > Sept. 3-4
- Catholic Charities North Dakota: Last weekend in September > Sept. 24-25
- World Mission Sunday (Propagation of the Faith): Second to last Sunday in October > Oct. 15-16
- Archdiocese for the Military Services (every 3rd year) > Nov. 5-6
- Retirement Fund for Religious: Second Weekend in December > Dec. 10-11
*These appeals are for the Diocese of Bismarck.
Collections not take up but contributions from God's Share Appeal
• Catholic Relief Services Collection (formally American Bishops’ Overseas Appeal)
• Catholic Communication Campaign
• Aid to Catholic Church in Central & Eastern Europe
• The Catholic University of America
• Church in Latin America