June 1, 2013
On Pentecost Sunday in 2010, I found myself in Paray le Monial, France: the city of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I did not realize upon my arrival that my life was linked to this city for this was where St. Margaret Mary Alacoque lived. Jesus appeared to her throughout her life in the late 1600s asking her to spread devotion to His Most Sacred Heart. He made these promises to those that would practice devotion to His Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source of an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.
- I will bless the homes where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the first Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving their sacraments; My heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.
When my grandmother was dying of cancer, my parents, who lived out of state, turned to their Catholic faith in a new way. One of the fruits of this was that they enthroned our home and family to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and continue to renew this consecration during their evening meal prayer to this day, over 30 years later. As I walked the streets of Paray visiting St. Margaret Mary’s tomb, I realized this devotion has poured incredible graces upon my family, including that my five siblings and I are all still actively living our Catholic faith.
Each year the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus falls on a Friday in June—June 7 this year. Perhaps you may want to draw your family closer to Jesus through enthroning your home and participating in the First Friday devotion. If you’d like more info on the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart, please contact Deacon Doug Helbing at 701-663-0812 or firstname.lastname@example.org
. May the Lord cover you with His Precious Blood!